August 24, 2021
Alt Meat Leaders and Losers — August 2021
Labeling Changes Afoot
Policy is often slow to catch up to new products and technologies; for alternative protein, labeling is the biggest sticking point. Given the importance of labeling for brand management, companies should closely monitor developments in the state and federal rules.
- On Aug. 11, a U.S. District Court judge ruled in favor of Miyoko’s Creamery against the California Department of Food and Agriculture, concluding that labeling plant-based products “vegan butter” is not misleading commercial speech. He explained, “Quite simply, language evolves.”
- The judgment set a precedent for relying on clarity of labeling and away from strict reliance on FDA’s standards of identity.
- However, the judgment failed to prevent the American Butter Institute from disputing the clarity of labeling on other plant-based product packages.
In the past month, analysis of Intel Distillery data showed that health and sourcing concerns took a back seat to channel availability.
- Panda Express tested Beyond Orange Chicken at 10 New York City and Los Angeles locations.
- Pizza Hut piloted Beyond Pepperoni pizza in five U.S. cities.
- Baja Fresh Mexican Grill rolled out three Impossible Foods products.
This content was developed in partnership with Alt-Meat, a multimedia brand covering a myriad of topics in the meat alternatives market from a business point of view. For more information, visit Alt-Meat.net.
Alt. Meat Leaders and Losers — January 2022
Other Analysis | January 27, 2022
Taking Stock of Sourcing PrioritiesOver the past month, the leading voices in food production took time to reflect on the ...
Alt. Meat Leaders and Losers — November 2021
Other Analysis | November 23, 2021
Sourcing Concerns Hit on Two-thirds of ESGIn the past month, influential figures in alt. meat production devoted their attention to ...
Alt. Meat Leaders and Losers — October 2021
Other Analysis | October 26, 2021
Ingredient Choices Impact the Bottom LineLofty brand ambitions don't matter if your supply chain can't back it up. The alternative ...
Alt Meat Leaders and Losers – September 2021
Other Analysis | September 28, 2021
A Long Fuse is Lit: Labeling Looms LargeInfluential conversations about cell-cultured products took a turn in September as labeling policies ...
Alt Meat Leaders and Losers — July 2021
Other Analysis | July 27, 2021
Meat vs. Alt Protein: What's the Diff?Analysis of Intel Distillery data shows that health concerns drove the most influential conversations ...